Epson is one of the leading printer companies in the world, and their quality is almost unmatched. We recently had the pleasure of reviewing the new Epson WorkForce 520 All-In-One printer, and were thoroughly impressed. The 520 is a lot of printer for a very low price tag. It was super fast, and printed beautiful quality photos and documents. We loved the wi-fi printing feature, and were thoroughly impressed at how easy it was to set up and get running on our wireless network. First though, let’s touch on the technical details –
Epson WorkForce 520 Outstanding Features:
• Color Inkjet Printer With MicroPiezo print head technology for laser-like quality at super fast speeds (worlds fastest all-in-one in its class)
• Print at resolutions of up to 5760×1440 dpi
• ISO Print Speeds of 15 ISO pages per minute (black) and 5.4 ISO pages per minute (color)
• Smudge and water resistant, instant drying, and all-pigment inks for amazingly crisp and beautiful photos and text
• Wi Fi (802.11b/g/n) enabled for printing wirelessly, via hi-speed USB 2.0, and over an Ethernet network
• 2400 dpi scanner
• Fax machine sends and receives black and color faxes as fast as 3 seconds per page
• Built in 30 page automatic document feeder for copy/scan/fax
• ENERGY STAR qualified and RoHS compliant and uses up to 70% less energy for daily jobs
• Compatible with Windows and Mac OS X
• And more… see their Fact Sheet for more details
The Epson WorkForce 520 printer was a breeze to get set up and running. It actually took us more time to remove and plug in the ink cartridges than it did to get this printer set up on our network. The instructions on the install cd were simple and easy to follow, and entire setup process (after installing the ink) took a total of 5 minutes. It automatically found our wireless network, and prompted us to enter the password. After completing the install process, we were already printing lab quality photos like there was no tomorrow.
The 520 WorkForce is touted as the fastest in its class, and we certainly see why! It prints, scans, copies, and faxes text and color documents incredibly fast. The text prints super crisp and laser quality, and we loved the double black cartridge ink cartridges so that it won’t run out of black ink as fast as other all-in-ones. The manual document feeder is easy to use and makes scanning documents to PDF ridiculously easy and fast.
Printing photos does take some time, it’s not the fastest photo quality printer we’ve ever seen, but the end results are certainly worth the wait! Printing at the ‘Best Photo’ quality took around 4 minutes, and printing at ‘Photo’ quality took about half that time. The results were outstanding with almost no color bleed visible at all. The DURABrite Ultra all-pigment ink looks amazing, has excellent color, and is water resistant and smudge proof.
There is only one paper input tray though, so you have to remove your regular stock and replace it with the photo quality stock when you want to print photos. Other (more expensive) versions like the Epson Artisan 810 offer multiple input trays for photo quality and regular quality papers. A slight annoyance, but for the price this unit sells at, we really can’t complain too much! Also, ink for the WorkForce 520 costs $49.95 for an All-in-one combo pack. That is not the most expensive ink package for refilling up an all-in-one printer, but it’s not cheap either.
The fax machine sends and receives faxes very fast, and it allows you to fax documents on your PC as well. The scanner was very easy to use, and offers direct to PDF copying. Bonus bundled software lets you convert scanned documents into text for editing in a word processor. Obviously, your computer does have to be manually connected to the printer (either via ethernet network or a direct USB connection) when scanning. The scanner offers three different scanning modes from a basic office mode to a more advanced professional mode to give you total scanner control.
All in all, we were very impressed with the Epson WorkForce 520. We only had two small gripes about the printer, and the pros far outweigh any of those complaints. For a business printer this is a truly versatile, high quality, and useful machine. And the MSRP of $129 – but right now it’s available for just $89 with an Instant Rebate that makes the Epson WorkForce 520 a really great deal!
• VERY easy 5 minute set up process on a wireless network
• Fast document printing, faxing, and scanning
• Superior laser-like quality text and photo prints
• Environmentally friendly and recyclable
• Automatic document feeder saves time and effort
• Only one paper input tray
• Slowish high quality photo printing
• Would prefer if the ink cartridges were more affordably priced
For more reviews of the Epson WorkForce 520, check out TestFreaks