Verizon has announced the new Motorola Droid Pro, an Android Smartphone with a dedicated keyboard on its face. The keyboard on the Droid Pro is even very similar to the BlackBerry Bold’s keyboard. Other features are also pretty impressive – including the ability to use it as a 3G mobile Hotspot, and built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support – for those business types that need it. We gotta say, this device does sound promising. That said, the problem here is that everytime a QWERTY smartphone with a candybar form-factor comes around, it’s labeled a BlackBerry killer too. We had high hopes for the Motorola Charm, thinking that perhaps it really could be a serious BlackBerry alternative. Unfortunately the Charm’s subpar display and sluggish processor held it back. We hope that the Droid Pro doesn’t let us down too. That said, if it does indeed meet everyone’s high expectations, then only Verizon users will be in luck. We’ll have a full review of the Motorola Droid Pro as soon as we can get a hold of one.
Update 11/18/2010: Check out our Motorola Droid Pro review.
- Support for both Exchange e-mail and Gmail™ for business
- Corporate directory look-up, unified calendar for Enterprise and sync with Google Calendar™
- PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full, multi-touch, 3.1-inch brilliant display built on Android 2.2
- View, edit and share documents, including Microsoft Excel® spreadsheets, PowerPoint® presentations and Word® documents
- Built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011
- 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to connect up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices and laptops
- Live widgets that stream e-mail messages to the home screen; customers can filter the widgets to separate work and home e-mail
- 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash as well as DVD-quality video
- 3G diversity antennae provides customers with enhanced data speeds and range
- Wi-Fi®-enabled DNLA® connectivity
- Android Market™ – Provides customers with access to more than 80,000 applications
- My Verizon and Backup AssistantSM support – Allows customers to manage their wireless accounts or their contacts from their phones