Slacker Premium Radio Beats Spotify to the Punch in the U.S.
Pandora is about to start eating Slacker’s dust now that the popular online radio service has launched Slacker Premium Radio. Slacker Premium Radio offers on-demand, all-you-can-eat access to Slacker’s entire music library. For $9.99 a month, users will be able to get instant access to songs, albums, top charts, station playlists, and single-artist radio stations. To date there are over 8 million songs in Slacker’s library. Subscribers will be able to create playlists, and even listen to those playlists and entire albums when they are offline. We can’t help but feel like Slacker Premium Radio just became a Spotify alternative for users in the U.S. and Canada.
The new Slacker Premium interface also features a Top 50 Charts for every station, along with all-new artist pages that feature the artist’s biography, all songs by the artist, discography and related artists. In conjunction with the release of Slacker Premium Radio, Slacker is also launching new apps for iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry and Android that are all compatible with the new service.
Slacker will continue to offer their free Slacker Basic Radio service as well as their ad-free radio service, Slacker Radio Plus – for $3.99 a month. Also, for a limited time, Slacker is running a promotion on Facebook that offers a free 1 month subscription to Slacker Premium Radio.
Slacker Premium Radio:
• Search, play and replay specific songs or entire albums
• Create specific playlists on mobile and on the web
• Off-line playback of stations, playlists and albums on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, Android and BlackBerry smartphones
• Replay specific songs on programmed and custom stations
• Browse and play “Favorite” songs, now collected in one location
• Unlimited song skipping
• Ad-free listening
• Complete song lyrics†
• Browse Top Charts on all Slacker genre stations
• “Peek Ahead” artist, album and song preview
• Ability to skip forward and backward