We first spotted the HTC ChaCha back at MWC in February and were instantly quite taken with it. That is because the ChaCha isn’t just a “Facebook” phone, it’s really a BlackBerry competitor too. Well Europe has had the ChaCha available for a while now, and AT&T is finally ready to bring it to our shores rebranded as the HTC Status. The HTC Status will arrive this summer. And it looks like it will be available in three colors – purple, black, and silver/white.
The phone originally made headlines because it is the first device to sport a dedicated Facebook Share button that lets you instantly post on your wall. The device also sports other neat Facebook integration features like the ability to see a friend’s profile picture and latest status update right on the call screen.
The device runs on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) with the lovely HTC Sense U.I. It is also sporting a 2.6 inch touch screen with a 480 x 320 resolution, an 800mhz processor, a 5MP camera with auto-focus, and a VGA frontfacing camera. Pricing is TBD but we expect it to be priced more aggressively than the standard $199 with contract.
Dedicated Facebook share button
- One touch to share- Press the Facebook share button from your home screen to instantly post on your wall.
- Snap, shoot, share- Take a picture or shoot a video and share it instantly with a press of the Facebook share button. You can even post pictures automatically as you’re taking them..
- Quick-on-the-draw check-in- Just long press the Facebook share button to check in your location with Facebook Places.
- Be first with the news- See something cool on the web? Share your latest find with a quick press of the Facebook share button.
- Post to your wall – or a friend’s wall – From the home screen, a quick tap of the Facebook HTC share button makes sharing anything on your mind quick and easy.
- Share what you’re listening to- The Facebook share button glows when you’re listening to music, to let you know you can share. Let your friends in on the music you love with the push of a button.
Lock screen shortcuts
See what’s happening before you pick up
Every time you get or make a call, you see your friend’s profile picture and latest status update right on the call screen. If it’s their birthday that week, you’ll see that, too.
Special effects for photos and videos
Anyone can be an artist. Use camera effects to make your photos and videos look like they’ve been taken through special lenses and filters—like Sepia for an old-fashioned look, or Aqua for a touch of cool. Apply effects right in the viewfinder, or apply them afterwards in the Gallery.
Front and back cameras
Take a spontaneous self-portrait or a quick cheek-to-cheek pic with your best pal on the VGA front-facing camera—or just double-check your hair with the Mirror app. With the 5.0 MP main camera with LED flash, you can capture every moment, with pictures or high-quality video.
A smarter ringer
The “Quiet ring on pickup” setting reduces the ring volume when you pick the phone up. The “Pocket mode” setting increases ring volume when your phone is in a pocket or bag, and then returns the volume to a reasonable level when you take it out.