The Best Gadgets of CES 2012
Like a whirlwind, CES 2012 has came and went. As usual, this year’s show floor was full of technology wonders that you can expect to see more of within the coming months. But in the midst of the hot mess of new gadgets there were a couple of new electronics and technologies that especially stood out for us. So without a further ado, here are our top picks for the best and quirkiest gadgets of CES 2012.
- Just when you though that Samsung’s Smart TVs couldn’t get anymore anorexic, they went ahead and got even slimmer. To that effect, the new Samsung Super OLED TV is produced from a single pane of glass and a nearly invisible bezel. These TVs are also smarter than ever, and will come with both gesture and voice control. That said, LG also gets a special shout-out for showing off the world’s largest 55″ 3D OLED TV, which they promise will come to market soon.
- Lenovo’s Yoga is really what we consider the shape of things to come. This ultrabook / tablet hybrid runs Windows 8 and packs in a rotating display that puts all of Windows 8′s slick touchscreen features to good use. We’re sure that this kind of form-factor will become the future of laptops once Windows 8 rolls out.
- Dropped your iPhone in the toilet? Common, we’ve all been there. Fortunately, Liquipel plans to save your iPhone and smartphone from the hazards of spills and drops in bowls, with its special coating that protects your devices from otherwise harmful liquids. At the moment the Liquipel service is available for 4 phones including the iPhone and HTC Thunderbolt, but the company expects to bring the technology to market with other smartphones soon.
- Hybrid cars are nothing new, but we’re especially excited about the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi because it’s not just green and fuel efficient – but it’s also tech heavy. The car packs in features like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, Sync and MyFord Touch.
- Headphones took over CES this year, with everyone from Snooki to 50 Cent to Ludacris, Philips, and even Diesel, all touting their own answer to Beats.
- 4G LTE smartphones are finally rolling out, full steam ahead. Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung, LG and Motorola all had new 4G LTE devices to show off.
- Ultrabooks also stole the spotlight this CES. But we have to give a special shout-out to the especially svelte Dell XPS 13 and the Acer Aspire S5.
- Chances are that your next point and shoot camera will come with built-in Wi-Fi. While this technology isn’t new, it looks like this tech is finally starting to gain steam with new Wi-Fi enabled cameras and camcorders from Kodak, Polaroid, and Samsung. And unlike the first generation of cameras with built-in Wi-Fi, all of these cameras are aimed at the mainstream consumer and are designed to be affordable and easy to use. But we’re particularly excited about the Sony Bloggie Live which lets you livestream over Wi-Fi. Check back soon for our full review of the Bloggie Live.
- Take one mean dancing robot and throw in Justin Bieber for some good old celebrity enforcement, and you get Tosy’s mRobo Ultra Bass robot. Isn’t this how it all started back on Caprica? 10. Love FitBit? Then you’re in luck, because fitness gadgets were all the rage at CES this year, with everything from the new Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale, to the TINKÉ heart-rate tracker for iPhone, the Withings Smart Baby WiFi Scale, and Iqua Beat heart rate headphones all debuting at the show.
There you have it our favorite gadgets and tech of CES 2012! Till next year.