,

Roland Acquires Majority Stake in V-Moda, Companies to Enter into Brand Partnership

Two huge names in high-end audio are joining forces today, with the announcement of a strategic partnership between premium headphone company V-Moda and Roland, best known for their synthesizers and contributions to electronic music. As usual with tech acquisitions, not much will change on the consumer side — V-Moda will remain independent, and the companies do not intend to co-brand any of their products (although they may develop new products together down the line).

Financial terms have not been disclosed, but we do know that Roland has purchased a 70 percent stake in V-Moda. Current V-Moda CEO Val Kolton will retain the other 30 percent and will continue to serve as CEO. He’ll also join Roland as a consultant for their dance and DJ line of products. Kolton will influence design and marketing, which is something unique that V-Moda brings to the table — V-Moda’s headphones are still designed in Milan, a point of pride for the company over the years.

While V-Moda will provide Roland with design and marketing expertise (plus another nice revenue stream), Roland will provide V-Moda with cash. Roland is a little older and more well-heeled in the audio world, and their synthesizers and drum machines were behind the development of much electronic music in the ’80s and beyond. Until now, V-Moda has been a private, family-owned business, but it can be hard to hang tough with the rest of the tech industry without more robust financial backing. Roland provides that, and we’re interested to see what V-Moda does with it — we’d rarely been disappointed with their headphones over the years as it was.