Money is either going to be with you after you say I do, or it’s going to create one heck of a problem for you.
We recently discussed the importance of sitting down with your future spouse to discuss your finances before you get married, and it’s high time we address these important questions you need to ask your fiancé before you say I do!
Divorce is becoming a sobering statistic, and one thing that significantly contributes to divorce are arguments over money.
“Arguments about money is by far the top predictor of divorce,” Sonya Britt, a Kansas State University researcher, said in a recent study she did about money and divorce.
“It’s not children, sex, in-laws or anything else. It’s money — for both men and women.”
Here’s What You Need To Ask:
- Are you in debt at all? If so, how much?
- What are your monthly expenses?
- How much have you saved so far?
- Do you owe any money towards student loans or are they paid off?
- Who is going to handle the day to day finances and bill paying?
- Who is going to choose the long term investments and strategies?
- Are you planning on seeking higher education and/or going back to school?
- Do you prefer to pay cash or credit?
- Do you set money aside to save at the end or beginning of the month?
- How much should we set aside to save every month?
- How much should we set aside for a rainy day fund?
- Do you want to have kids? If so, how many? (Yup, kids cost money $$)
- Do you have any money saved towards retirement?
- How much do we need to collectively make to live the life we want?
- Do we want to keep our money in separate accounts, merge our money, or create a joint account for certain expenses?
- Should we get on the same health insurance plan?
- Should we sign a prenup? (This one can be sensitive, but nobody enters a relationship with an equal amount of assets and earning potential and divorce is becoming a sobering statistic)
- How much are we going to set aside for an emergency or rainy day?
- How much will we agree is ok to spend before we have to ask the other person prior to purchasing?
- What big financial goals do you have or want to achieve?
Bre is a female millennial go getter residing in New York. One part entrepreneur, one part geek, she obtained her degree in Textile/Surface Design from The Fashion Institute of Technology.
She has held some exciting roles in both fashion as a designer working for brands like Victoria’s Secret and Henri Bendel, as well as in ad tech working for publishers like Ziff Davis.
Today she operates her own luxury label and is also the Chief Chick at Chipchick.com which reaches millions of women each month.
Bre is passionate about keeping women informed of the latest technology trends and products to improve their lifestyle and believes in providing real, useful information and advice to her readers.