in

She And Her Family Were Admitted To The Hospital After Being Poisoned By Toxic Fumes From An Easy Bake Oven

Prostock-studio - stock.adobe.com - illustrative purposes only, not the actual people

If you grew up during the early 2000s, the most iconic toys that defined your childhood probably included Hot Wheels, Barbie dolls, Rubik’s cubes, and, of course, Easy Bake Ovens.

Hasbro introduced the Easy Bake Oven in the 1960s. Decades later, the beloved toy has stood the test of time, and parents still purchase it for their kids today.

Since it’s marketed toward children, you would think that the Easy Bake Oven is just a fun, harmless toy. However, it has the potential to be incredibly dangerous, and it’s not just because of the burn risks it has become infamous for.

Recently, a family of three was hospitalized after attempting to prepare a cake in an Easy Bake Oven. A mother named Stephanie (@steph_murphy) posted a video on TikTok explaining how she, her husband, and their 8-year-old daughter ended up in the emergency room due to a strange smell that came from an Easy Bake Oven.

It all started when Stephanie’s husband, Ryan, and their daughter, Nora, set up her new Easy Bake Oven for the first time. They were in the kitchen while Stephanie was in her bedroom.

As soon as they plugged in the oven, a weird smell wafted through the house. Ryan didn’t think much of it, assuming that it was because the toy was made of plastic. However, Stephanie noted that Ryan’s sense of smell and taste had been significantly affected ever since he had COVID three years ago.

The odor eventually went away, and the father-daughter duo proceeded to work on their two-layer red velvet cake. The dessert needed to be baked one layer at a time. While the first layer was cooking, the family played a game in the living room together.

Approximately 16 to 20 minutes later, Ryan and Nora went to check on the cake. They found it still undercooked and decided not to continue with the second layer. They unplugged the oven and threw the cake away without eating it.

About 45 minutes later, Nora began “complaining of chest pains.” She was also having trouble breathing, so Stephanie checked her oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter. Nora’s oxygen came back as 89, which was “very low.” They immediately headed straight to the ER.

Prostock-studio – stock.adobe.com – illustrative purposes only, not the actual people

Sign up for Chip Chick’s newsletter and get stories like this delivered to your inbox.

1 of 2