in

A Glass Crystal Ball And Sunshine Caused An Entire House Fire

“Upon arrival of emergency services, there was visible smoke coming from the home,” the Delton Fire Department explained in a statement they shared to social media.

“Firefighters entered the home and extinguished the fire, which was isolated to the living room area.”

“There were no injuries to the occupants or first responders. The main level of the home sustained substantial heat damage; estimated damage is $250,000.”

Facebook; the Delton Fire Department shared the above photo of the crystal ball and the damage it did

“Shortly after 4:00PM on the day of the fire, the owner arrived home, discovered thick smoke throughout the house, and immediately called 911,” the statement continued.

“An investigation determined the fire started on a couch in the living room and the cause of the fire was determined to be from a glass “crystal ball” ornament.”

“The crystal ball had been located on a table near the couch and in direct sunlight. When sunshine came through a large set of windows and through the glass ball, it ignited the couch.”

The Delton Fire Department then shared an important reminder to keep any kind of “crystals, mirrors, glass ornaments, and even bottles away from direct sunlight and particularly away from anything flammable.”

Anything made of these materials can act exactly like a magnifying glass when hit with sunlight, concentrating the light in a smaller area, which makes it dangerous.

Facebook; pictured above is another photo of the devastation that the Delton Fire Department shared

2 of 2

8-Year-Old Girl Crushed While Rock Climbing In New Mexico And Now Her Lower Leg Has Been Amputated

Human Rights Lawyer Describes How Difficult It Is For One Of Her Clients To Understand Current Technology After Spending 30 Years Behind Bars