Cronuts, cake pops, donuts, cookie milk shots, and cupcakes in all shapes and sizes. When it comes to pastries, New Yorkers can’t get enough of them. So much so, that they are willing to line-up for hours for a helping of a sweet and savory carb. Now enters, Sprinkles, the latest cupcake company to muscle its way into the big city. Of course, this is happening at the same time that Crumbs, an old cupcake grandaddy by today’s standards, and the itsy bitsy Baked by Melissa’s cupcake stores are only just starting to pop-up all over town. Let’s not forget the always fashionable Magnolia Bakery, and their fanciful cupcakes. But yes, we sure do love cupcakes, so why not one more cupcake shop – just for kicks.
Sprinkles however, is one-upping its competition with their very own cupcake ATM that is open 24 hours. That’s right, after a drunken stupor, or maybe a middle of the night pregnancy craving, you can head over to Lexington Avenue and East 60th street and you’ll find a beacon of frosting that is ready to soothe your sweet tooth.
While the lines for this latest dessert gimmick have been massive since its arrival, we figured, lets really put this cupcake ATM to the test and see if a Sprinkles cupcake would be just as good in the middle of the night as it is in the middle of the day.
1. No Lines – YES! Luckily for us, due to the weather being horrible this weekend, no one was either around or in the mood for a cupcake at 12:15am on a Sunday night.
2. Decisions, decisions. Sprinkles, even in the middle of the night, has a significant amount of cupcakes on hand for your choosing. One of which is even a Doggie Cupcake. How awesome is that?
3. We go with the tried-and-true Vanilla Milk Chocolate Cupcake. Look at those ingredients? Do you feel your jeans squeezing around your waste just by reading them? $4.25 is certainly not an outrageous price for a middle of the night cupcake fix.
4. The teasing continues, as we witness our cupcake making its way around the shop and into our hands. Very clever Sprinkles.
5. Just like a bank ATM disperses precious cash, the Sprinkles Cupcake ATM places its currency for your taking.
6. You will have to be quick with retrieving your dough. The door doesn’t stay open very quickly before it starts to close in on your hand and cupcake.
7. Simple and to the point packaging reveal a beautiful frosting with sprinkles specimen that is ready to be eaten.
8. Divine and moist. Even so late at night, the cupcake was incredibly soft and smelled so fresh as if it was just baked.
9. Alone at last. While not too big and not too small, the Sprinkles cupcake is the perfect size of deliciousness. The frosting is not nauseatingly sweet and the cake is moist and flavorful. It has totally passed our late night snack challenge.
Uh oh, now I need to go the gym tomorrow first thing in the AM…
In a town full of fads and gimmicks, it will be interesting to see how long the Sprinkles cupcake ATM gets play before we all move on to the next thing. But one thing is for sure, boy do we love New York. After all, where else can you pick up a fresh upscale cupcake from an ATM/Vending machine and a Macbook Pro all within a few blocks, in the middle of the night?