Samsung Music Hub Review
If you have ever wondered about what Samsung was up to when they acquired Mspot, you’re about to find out. Samsung has merged Mspot’s service into their new Music Hub service. Music Hub is being described as a 3-in-1 mobile music solution that lets you upload your music collection to the cloud, stream and purchase songs from an extensive catalog, and listen to personal radio stations. Music Hub is available in two flavors, a free plan, and a premium plan that costs $9.99 a month. The free plan is similar to Spotify’s free plan in the way that it gives you access to an extensive catalog of music for streaming. The Premium plan on the other hand, adds neat features like a scan and match cloud music feature, that is similar to iTunes Match. It also throws in other features like personalized and custom radio.
Samsung’s new Music Hub has a lot going for it. It brings together a lot of the elements that can be found in Spotify, Google Music, and iTunes Match, and merges it all into one service. We particularly like some of its features like its ability to prefetch the next song on your playlist, so that the next song will play right away without any hiccups. We also appreciate the fact that you can set a limit on how much storage you want the service to use up on your phone when you’re saving files locally.
With that said, there is room for improvement. For starters, we would like to see the free trial be available without requiring your credit card info. We would also like to see the service open up to other variants of the Galaxy S III, since for now it’s limited to just AT&T and U.S. Cellular S III handsets. However, Samsung Mobile tells us that the service will be available on other devices soon.
You can check out Samsung Music Hub now with a free 30 day trial. Each free trial also comes with a download of a free album.
Music Hub Store (free) allows users to:
- Access millions of songs from the 7digital catalog – which includes music from all four major labels (Sony, EMI, Universal, and Warner), plus select independents– from which users can buy tracks and albums, as well as listen to 30-second previews of all songs
- Store purchased music in the cloud, allowing it to automatically load on all registered Music Hub devices, while still being available on those registered devices locally for offline listening
- Use the Music Hub web player, in addition to the mobile app, with which users can access their music library and the Music Hub catalog/store online at www.musichub.com
Music Hub Premium ($9.99 per month, with a free 30-day trial offered) offers access to all of the free version features, as well as:
- A Scan & Match Cloud Locker: Upload music to the cloud to play it on any device registered with a Music Hub account. Music Hub also utilizes scan-and-match technology to decrease upload time and ensure high-quality playback. Any unmatched songs are directly uploaded from user’s library to the cloud offering 100 GB of storage for all unmatched songs, so users can access rare or personal recordings across their devices. Music Hub also automatically updates playlists or music purchases music updated across all registered devices.
- A catalog of millions of songs for purchase AND streaming: Enjoy full access to 7digital’s entire Music Hub catalog, including music from all four major labels, to stream or purchase, with unlimited plays and no advertisements. Search for new music, create playlists, share songs with friends, and view lyrics and album information.
- Personalized and Custom Radio: Create personal stations based on favorite songs and artists, or browse genre stations recommended and custom-created by the Music Hub team. Users also can tag songs they like to find and play back later.
- Customized Recommendations: Discover great new songs, artists, albums and radio stations all the time – and the more users listen, the better Music Hub’s recommendations will get.